SEASONAL COUNSELOR POSITIONS
Please fill out an application when it is posted by late January. Do not delay as it is likely that very few, if any, counselor positions will still be available after all applications that were received on time are processed (March 15 is the deadline to be considered “on time”).
Please be sure to fill out this application in its entirety. All submissions are to be made electronically this year.
If you have any concerns or questions, please contact KBIA’s Executive Director.
Junior & Senior Counselors
Junior & Senior Counselors gain experience in leadership by assisting staff in the instruction of various classes, helping with administrative functions and working at KBIA community events. Counselors assist with safety on the KBIA campus, beach, and playground. In addition, Counselors support KBIA’s mission through service learning projects, including helping maintain the Cove and Mother’s Beach. Senior Counselors are eligible for a greater range of opportunities and responsibilities, which includes assisting in the teaching of classes, mentoring and organizing social events. Counselors receive compensation based on age, experience, and certifications. Weekly schedules are provided allowing Counselors the flexibility to make the most of their summer by pursuing additional employment and other activities if desired. However, last-minute scheduling adjustments are sometimes necessary, and we ask Counselors to support such changes. Junior and Senior Counselors must complete a Counselor Application.
Please note: Every effort will be made to accommodate areas of interest but assignments cannot be guaranteed. Due to the nature of some classes, applicants with advanced certifications will be given preference. There is limited Counselor space available. Applicants with CIT or Counselor experience at KBIA, and those able to participate for four or more consecutive weeks, will be given preference. Applications are reviewed as they’re received, applying quickly is advised. Applications received after May 15 may not receive a response and it is likely that some or all of the positions will be filled by March 15 which is the deadline for applications considered for the initial hiring.
Counselor Job Description
KBIA Counselors assist in the planning, teaching, coordinating and carrying out of daily camp programs, classes and activities. Counselors are expected to act as role models and guide campers in their personal growth and life skills.
Assist in the direction, supervision, and organization of campers in their classes and in their activities at KBIA. Apply basic youth development principles in working with campers; assist campers to develop effective communication and relationship skills and respect for each other as well as their surroundings and the environment.
- Ensure campers are properly supervised at all times.
- Enforce safety guidelines at all times.
Participate in the development and implementation of program and class activities for campers.
- Responsible for leading or assisting with the teaching of activities.
- Actively participate in all classes as assigned.
Maintain high standards of safety in all activities for campers and staff.
- Provide daily care for each camper within your supervision.
- Be alert to equipment and facilities to ensure utilization, proper care, and maintenance is adhered to; report repairs needed promptly to supervisors.
Act as a role model to campers and staff in both attitude and behavior.
- Follow and uphold all safety and security rules and procedures.
- Set a good example to campers and others in regard to general camp procedures and practices including sanitation, schedule, and sportsmanship.
Be a proper representative of KBIA when interacting with parents or community members.
- Provide parents appropriate feedback and information as needed for their children to have a successful KBIA experience.
- Follow safety and security protocols when campers are in public to ensure a positive image of KBIA.
Other Job Duties:
- Provide supervision for campers while campers are transported to and from the KBIA Campus or during scheduled classes or activities off of KBIA property.
- Contribute to verbal and written evaluations and communication as requested.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to interact with wide age range.
- Ability to relate to youth and adults in a positive manner at all times.
- Demonstrated knowledge and skill in designated program areas.
KBIA recognizes that the developmental stage of a person is keyed not only to age, but also the stage of schooling. Therefore, we grant exceptions for those with summer birthdays; please contact the Executive Director for more information.
Employment Statement: KBIA employs young men and young women staring at age 15 when they typically have completed their first year of high school. KBIA expects parents of employees to support the values that KBIA has promoted for over 100 years. KBIA will contact parents of employees under the age of 18 when an issue arises that requires the Executive Director’s involvement. Examples are failure to show up for work, significantly underperforming, and safety issues. It is the hope of KBIA that by communicating directly with the family of employees under the age of 18 that positive growth can result by the employee and that the family supports any necessary actions. KBIA will only contact parents of its employees over the age of 18 with the consent of the employee.
|Age as of
|Eligible role at KBIA|
|18 (or older)||Sr. Counselor|
For more information about the Counselor and CIT Program please click here.
- Jr./Sr. Counselors: Must be able to obtain or become certified in First Aid and CPR either through the Red Cross or the American Heart Association.
- Jr./Sr. Counselors: Mandatory attendance at Orientation Weekend.
- Junior Counselors under the age of 16 must have a Maine State Work Permit. To request this form, please contact:
Kennebunk Superintendent of Schools
87 Fletcher Street
Kennebunk, ME 04043
- Applicants must be eligible to work in the U.S. and supply required documentation.